Friday, September 01, 2006

Mountains and Mormons:

Or we aren't in the Midwest any more Toto.

Since moving to Utah I've been feeling like a fish out of water. Or a fish in a mountainous desert. This is the first time that I've ever lived out of the midwest, so I really notice the geography and climate. Salt Lake City reminds me of Denver, where my mom grew-up, yet is different. The air smells the same, dry and piney. But there is not one but two mountain ranges. It makes me feel like I'm on some foreign planet where two moons rise up at night. The two mountain ranges that Salt Lake City is sandwhiched between are both visible from our apartment. On the east are the Wasatch mountains, where Park City and other ski resorts are located:
To the west are the Oquirrh mountains, with a giant copper mine:
To give those of you who've been to SLC, we are living about this far south of downtown and the university area, where Ben's company is located:

This amazing view is less than a block from our apartment.

Of course the other thing that makes Utah unique is the dominant religion, Mormonism. While this fact hasn't directly affected me, one notices subtle differences. On tv, for example, there are a lot less alcohol commercials. And the coffeeshops advertise their fruity shakes. And I feel a little conspicuous when buying coke or coffee in the grocery store. But overall there isn't a big difference.

On the knitting front, I've finished Bad Penny and the wool-stretch socks. When I blocked Bad Penny the other day it was dry overnight, as opposed to Michigan where it takes three to four days for a sweater to dry. Bad Penny will be making her debut in Seattle this weekend, so pictures will follow soon. I'm disappointed that I totally missed the Tour de Fleece. My spindle was with the movers for the three weeks of the Tour. Oh well, there's always next year.

2 Comments:

At 8:02 PM, September 02, 2006, Blogger Denise said...

Wow! Definitely a difference. Gotta love the mountains. Glad you updated!

 
At 8:39 AM, September 16, 2006, Blogger Kimberly said...

WOW! An Update! I thought you moved to Utah & forgot all about us! :~)

Love the view from your apartment! So pretty.

Hope you & Ben are doing well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home