Saturday, May 06, 2006

He Tricked Me and I Said Yes

So here's the second installment of our engagement story. Ben's parents generously offered a family diamond for the engagement ring, and the last time I was in Utah we picked out a setting. I am going to use my great-grandmother's wedding band as my wedding band, and we selected the engagement ring to be the same metal (platinum) and same width. At this point I told Ben that when the ring was finished, he couldn't just toss me the ring and say "Here it is Em". I wanted him to give it to me in some sort of meaningful way.

After the diamond got to the jewelry store in SLC, we weren't sure if the ring would be ready by our next visit, which happened to be in Memphis to celebrate Passover with family. Ben called the store the day before the trip, and he reported that they wouldn't know until the next day whether the ring would be done. The next day, as Ben and I were waiting at the gates of our respective flights, Ben called to say that the ring wasn't ready. The store did give him a special box for me to put the ring in eventually. At this point I was really disappointed, but didn't want to show it. I didn't want to seem to materialistic, it's just a ring. And yet it's the ring, and I really wanted to wear it and show the world that I'm engaged. Later at the hotel in Memphis, Ben said that he wanted to practice proposing to me with the special box. I said sure, and he had me turn around and close my eyes. Ben the reached around me and gave me the box. I opened the box and saw this:


I then lifted up the paper and saw this:

I then turned around and Ben was down on one knee with the ring! Needless to say I was ecstatic. I small part of me had been wondering if Ben was tricking me all along, but I didn't wnt to get my hopes up. Ben was very pleased that he had tricked me, and we had a good story for our families.

So this is what the ring looks like. The center stone is a round cut diamond, and on either side are two baguettes. I originally thought I wanted a solitaire engagement ring, but I really like the baguettes. They draw your eye to the center stone without making the ring look to busy. I find myself staring at the ring a lot. :)

More knitting and spinning content to follow ...

1 Comments:

At 7:48 PM, May 06, 2006, Blogger CJ said...

Let me be the first in blogger land to tell you how lovely it is. Can't wait to see it in person!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home