Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Changes for Emily

When I was a girl, my favorite books were from the American Girls Collection. There were six books written about each girl (there were only Kirsten, Samantha and Molly when I was young), and the last book in each series was titled Changes for (insert name). The book would be about how the character's life was changing as she was getting older.

Changes for Emily sounds like a good title for my life right now, as there's a lot changing. About three months ago I decided to leave graduate school with my master's degree. I've been unhappy with my research for years, and I've come to realize that as excited as I can be about science, I don't want to do basic science research as a career. I really miss interacting with more people on a daily basis, and I feel like there's this whole other side to me that is caring and sympathetic that I don't use in lab. My goal is to find a career where I used science in a more applied manner to help people. I need a more direct connection to people to know that I'm doing some good with my life. At this point I'm considering becoming a high school chemistry teacher or a physician. There are pluses and minuses to both careers, and I want to take my time and weigh out the options before making a decision.

Because I can consider both careers pretty much anywhere in the country, I've decided to move to Salt Lake City to be near my better half, Ben. Along with this decision came our engagement, which we had been talking about but decided to bump up a year or so. We officially became engaged two months ago today (2/26) when he called my dad to ask for his blessing, and then called me and said "I'm down on one knee, will you marry me?" (He really was!) The ring came along two weeks ago tomorrow, but I'm going to save that story for another post.

I'm sorry I haven't been posting on my blog for a while. Needless to say, with so much going on it's hard to know where to begin.... More knitting and spinning content to follow.

1 Comments:

At 8:20 AM, May 03, 2006, Blogger Kimberly said...

So happy for you! This is all big, scary stuff but you'll sail through it! XD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home