Thursday, January 05, 2006

Ski Trip to Brule

This will be the first of several posts about my trip home to Duluth/Superior for the holidays. The day after I arrived, my dad, my brother, his girlfriend, a friend of his from high school and I all went nordic skiing at the After Hours ski trail in the Brule River State Forest. It was so beautiful there, as you can see from the pictures. Living in south-east Michigan, I don't get to be around such deep pine forests, and I miss it. The contrast between the dark green trees and the white snow with the light coming through the branches really caught my eye, so I took lots of pictures.












Skiing is my favorite sport, and I've been skiing since age 7 when my dad put me on skis. Back then I skied a couple of km to please my parents and then went inside for hot chocolate. Or I would go play on the playground equipment, because swings and slides were way more fun in the deep snow. Today I love skiing because gliding across the snow feels like flying, because it's a chance to get outside in the winter, and because I love the feeling when I'm done: my muscles are tired, my head is clear, and I can do anything.

There are actually two kinds of nordic skiing, classic and skate. Classic is the technique where the skier goes in parallel tracks, as shown on the right side of the picture. Skating is just that, making the same V-movements as an ice skater but on skis. You can also see skate tracks on the left side of the picture. Skating is probably my favorite because you can go faster, but classic gives you a better work-out. I did both techniques in high school when I was on the nordic ski team.




As I skied past a stand of deciduous trees, I saw a woodpecker, and took a picture of him. Don't you see him?







Okay here's a blow-up of the woodpecker:

He's the white triangle in the center outlined in black.

And here's another picture:














All in all it was a wonderful day. It was my brother's girlfriend's second or third time on skis, and she looked great! I was very impressed. I finished up the socks for my mom, but more on that later.


And then we came home and saw some other "wild" life

3 Comments:

At 9:44 PM, January 05, 2006, Anonymous Naomi said...

*Must contain envy.* I had really been hoping for at least some walks in the woods over break, but it didn't work out at all. (Since I went south, there was no chance of snow. I don't think I even wore the hat and scarf I took with me.)

Also, that's a great dog picture.

 
At 7:00 AM, January 06, 2006, Blogger Kate said...

Ok my envy is for the SUN that was shining on the snow! Really, it isn't the cold or the snow that I hate, just the lack of sun. If we could figure out a way to blow the damn clouds away from AA and get a little bright winter sunshine I'm sure I could be a sane person again. Oh and skiing in that sunshine looks like the perfect way to enjoy it.

 
At 8:00 AM, January 10, 2006, Blogger Emily said...

I'm jealous. The high of 46 that they are expecting today isn't going to get us any closer to having enough snow to go skiing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home