Friday, January 13, 2006

ChristmasBirthdayChannukahBirthday

Yes, our holidays up north were jam-packed with celebrations. First we celebrated Christmas on the 23rd-24th to allow for my brother and his girlfriend to head back to Packer territory for other Christmas parties and work. We had a great dinner on the 23rd, and on the morning of the 24th our traditional Christmas breakfast an almond paste coffeecake that my mom makes from scratch. The stocking-stuffer presents were opened on the 23rd, and the main presents on the 24th. My mom went a little overboard with the stocking stuffers this year, and this was one of several that I received:

Yeah, in my family we don't take ourselves too seriously. In addition to several knitting books, I received two knitting calendars and my new fabulous knitting bag from Offhand Designs:

I also got a portable DVD player from my honey, so now I can knit and watch movies when I go out to visit him. My dad really liked the Jerry Garcia doll that I made by adopting the Knit-Your-Own-Rock-Star pattern from Stitch-n-Bitch Nation.

I made Mom some socks, but sadly they were too itchy for her to wear. Luckly we have the same foot size, so the socks are mine now. I knew she was allergic to wool, but I figured that it was to just scratchy wool, not something soft. Oh well. I guess I will be shopping for some cotton sock yarn.


My brother's girlfriend and I decorated gingerbread people, with some untraditional decorations:
Next was my birthday on the 25th, which we celebrated by taking the dogs for a long walk around the neighborhood, eating pizza, and watching the Bears-Packers game. My honey is a dyed-in-the-wool Chicago Bears fans, so much so that one of his stipulations for a wedding is that it doesn't take place during a Bears game. So I really didn't have much of a choice as to what we were watching. But I had my knitting. And he did make me a cake for my birthday.

Now B. is a lot like his grandpa. One year B.'s grandpa gave B.'s grandma earrings that she already had. In the store he thought that the earrings looked like something she would wear. So when I opened up my birthday card from B. I burst out laughing before I even opened the card. Why? Because he gave me the same card last year:




A few days later, when we (sort of) recovered from all the food, B. and I cooked a Channukah meal with B.'s bubbe's brisket recipe, latkes (with sour cream and homemade apple sauce) and a Sephardic green bean and tomatoes dish. My mom bought some Channukah poppers, and we all got a little silly with the hats, even the doggies:


Finally, it was my mom's birthday on the 31st. B and I made her a low-fat, low-calorie chocolate cake (the only kind she would allow us to make), and she opened presents. Mom also got a DVD player from her honey (my dad), and of course the felted tote bag that I made. She loved it.

That's it for the celebrations. I have lots of dogs pictures left to post though, so stay tuned.

1 Comments:

At 5:35 PM, January 16, 2006, Blogger Denise said...

Oh, I MUST get one of those magnets!!

And, Jerry is gorgeous :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home