Friday, May 20, 2005

stinky!

Yesterday I made and purified this smelly sulfur compound, and it was a success! This reaction has given me such a headache over the years, and I finally got it working. The product decomposes into about four different side-products, which took me awhile to figure out. The last time I distilled this material, water flooded the system (because I use a water aspirator to create a vacuum). Now the chemicals in the flask react violently with water, so after a few minutes the liquid started bubbling and smoking. The glass column that's on top of the flask shot up like a rocket in my hood. Yeah, that wasn't a good day. But this time everything went smoothly with the help of my wonderful labmate, and I got a 90% yield of pure material!!! Yippee!!!